Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The All Clear

Today I had a date with this:

animal-scale

And this:

stethoscope

And this:

blood_pressure_cuff

Yes,  today was the day of my annual scolding  physical. 

When I mentioned to my doctor that I was training for a triathalon, her first look was of horror.   I am also pretty sure she stifled a gasp.

Once she righted herself in her chair, she asked me all the relevant questions.

How much do you exercise?

More than I ever thought I would.

What are you eating?

Too much it appears.

What distances are involved in the race?

600 meters swim,  14 mile bike ride and a 5K run. Or walk. Whatever I can manage.

It was after I answered that last question that she seemed to relax.  Apparently when I said “training for a triathalon” visions of Ironman popped into her head.  Marathon thin, muscle bound runners and olympic-rate athletes competing in grueling fashion.

Considering that, I am surprised she did not laugh me out of her office.

Apparently I am almost the picture of health.

Do you smoke?

Not since….never mind.

Do you do drugs?

Nope,  I’m square like that.

Do you drink alcohol?

Yes.

How much?

One bottle  glass at night.

This is where she told me that alcohol involved empty calories.

And I nodded and smiled that “go to hell” smile that I get when I can tell I am about to get unsolicited advice.   She left it at that.  Which is a good thing.  I earn every single last one of those empty calories and I will spend them as I darn well please.  

So I have been given the all clear.  Good thing since I started this exercise program about 6 weeks ago.  Kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is already out.  Me being the horse.  

I left with a request to come back in 6 months to “chart my progress”.  I think that might be code for “I want to see if you are capable of sticking with this” but that could be the cynic in me talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment